Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Scratch build: ThunderRaven #4

 Alright so lots of pics in this post! The model is actually in the painting phase right now so all these are past pics but I feel its cool to see the process as it happens, especially if your not the crafty type. Its all just pure madness which is carefully controlled. Incidentally my madness makes jets. In this pic you can see the white plastic elements ive added since I was able to procure some plasticard! (can I get a woot woot)
plasticard aka Sheet styrene to America... seriously... plasticard sounds so much better.
That's why I couldn't find it forever...

 MOAR PLASTICARD! It took about a month to get from the pic above to this one >  the reason being... I ran out of plasticard... and then ran out of money to buy more... BUT! I got more and so I was off and running again. For a fun reference the small tubing you see isnt plasticard tubing its a pack of low budget bic pens I cannibalized, the florescent yellow turbine is the tip of a mechanical pencil, I see things for what the could be, not for what they are.
 A nice front shot of the... well the front! Melta guns pointing right at you hatch sitting nicely and look you get to see my 3m sanding block (I love those things, stocking stuffers?)
 The belly of the beast framed with Popsicle sticks to keep it off the ground slightly (really how can you call it a craft with out using Popsicle sticks?) The boosters on the undersides of the wing tips are hallow too... I haven't found a better way to attach the finishing washers im using so that will be fixed after its completed.








Storm ravens are suppose to be able to carry a dreadnaught (the blue guy or Brother Novus) into battle on its butt and my Thunder raven variant is no different. It has no assembly for actually carrying the dreadnaught yet, that will have to be an after feature I almost never put teeny, fragile parts on my models. If i say its on there in a game, it's certainly on there.
I a stuck a rhino turret on the back for show, I like to swap parts between models, it helps get the most out of them with less cost.  As I said earlier the model is in its painting phase now, I'm a little lacking in inspiration to finish it so I'm waiting for that burst. This pic dose how ever represent the models finished constriction phase. The paint job will be similar to the two Thunderhawks' from the first post.

Some have said that my construction is a bit lacking on the fancy details like landing gear and such and that my paint jobs are basic, to that I say; yes that is absolutely correct. I paint and build to play, with the game table and car rides in mind. Imagine spending hours upon hours meticulously painting something or crafting it only to have it hit the floor and shatter or scraped paint taking it out of the case. Pfft! Not on my watch. My stuff is built to see the light of day, not the inside of a display case, Im looking at you Gloriously painted, Marneus Calgar Land Raider of epic wonder and amazement! WIP paint pics still to come.




No comments:

Post a Comment